29 October 2012

Engraved


Life has taught me some grave lessons.

I have learnt after several wounds
That if you don’t care for yourself and your interests
No one else will do it for you.

Some people are blessed to have loved ones who care
Who teach them how to look out for themselves
For those less fortunate
The vagaries of life don’t spare
They ruthlessly tear you down
Until you learn to lift up your hands
And shield yourself.

I had lost my faith in human beings
Seen things I never wanted to see
Known the depths of depravity that some can go to
For mere material gains
They can kill and maim the spirit of others
Just to ride the wave of success themselves.

In the places that stand for justice
There can be grave injustice
In places where love is worshipped
There can be ugliness of hate
And in those who pledge to build others
There can be envy and jealousy
Such hypocrisy that I cannot bear!

I used to feel sorry for my losses
The precious things of life that I lost
But it was then that I understood
That learning is better than ignorance
And wisdom is better than knowledge
Some people cannot tell the difference
While I can cause life taught me well.

I thank God for the lessons I learnt
For His protection that didn’t let me perish
As storms caused havoc around me
For every grief He gave me a nugget of wisdom
For every loss a deep place in my heart
I heard that these very deep places
Store blessings when the showers come.

I am still learning in the school of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment