14 November 2022

A Trip Down Memory Lane - Old Published Writings and Letters to the Editor

Walking down memory lane I could find some treasures to preserve, some joyful and memories that brought mixed emotions too. 

During the past year, I decided to take pictures of some of my earliest publications. The first writing of mine that got published publicly on mainstream media was a poem! I was happy to see my first poem published in the Teenager magazine in July 1986. Six months later I got to see the second poem published too in the January 1987 edition of the same magazine. 

Soon after the first poem appeared I was given the opportunity to write poems or articles for the Parish Bulletin of St.Francis DeSales Church. I remember how Mrs. Agatha Thomas would patiently wait for me to give her my submission! I really had no idea what a big deal it was to have an opportunity to write something for every edition of the Parish Bulletin. I had preserved one copy of every bulletin I wrote for, but unfortunately my father suddenly gave the entire set away to his father without checking with me and I never got to see them again. I wish I could have stopped him then.   

Here are some images of the first few of my writings that were published. 

 THE 'TEENAGER' MAGAZINE



'Teenager' magazine  - July 1986 & January 1987 

INSIDE PAGE WITH THE PUBLISHED POEM 

Poems by Henrietta

Poems by me published in the 'Teenager' - 'The Reawakening' & 'Autumn' 

WRITING PUBLISHED IN A NEWSLETTER - FEB 1987 


Writing titled 'Humanity' in the newsletter 'Vicinity' 

 LETTERS TO THE EDITOR



The very first Letter to the Editor I wrote was a letter appreciating the Times of India for starting a new section for students! I cannot remember which year it was. 



 A letter speaking about how hartals are causing much loss for the nation.



A letter written after there were attacks on the Christian community 

One of my dreams while I was growing up was to become a journalist. Later it changed and I decided I want to be a social worker. Even through the years of social work, my love for writing remained as it was close to my heart. 

While I was a child, I was very quiet. Writing and singing songs were the main forms of self expression for me. I am very happy that writing still is a big part of my life ! 


No comments:

Post a Comment