13 December 2009

A Silent Spectator

I used to be silent… said nothing
As days unfolded themselves
A silent spectator
Watching, hearing and feeling
But not speaking.

Voices floated everywhere
Voices laughing, speaking
Joking about trivial things
Voices sharing views and opinions
While I silently opined
In the deep recesses of my mind.

My silence proved too costly
As views about me were made
Mouth pieces spoke on my behalf
My silence did not help.
My actions always hidden
Because I would not share
It seemed I didn’t do anything
Or that I just didn’t care.

I looked around for understanding
But voices all around were being thrown
None were directed to me
No one asked me how I felt.
I felt like a nameless nothing
Or a wallpaper that simply decorates
Or even yet something
That had no worth at all.

Over the years my silence
Has taught me lessons of wisdom
I have learnt not to value people
By the words that come from their mouths
I have learnt that those who really care
Don’t need for us to talk
That the ones who’ll always be with us
Are those who with us walk.

The camaraderie of silence is wonderful
It can be felt everywhere
Among friends or even with strangers
It may be a look or a silent stare
In just a moment of being
A soul can connect with another
When they find they were watching something
And thinking about the same thing.

Knowing that not having a voice hurts
I finally decided to find my own voice
And to exercise not only for myself
But to speak for the untold masses
To speak about the things that hurt.
There are lost in the teeming millions
Those whose pain nobody shares
They have dreams they have buried inward
In the fear that no one cares.

Though I love to dwell in the silence
I have learnt for myself to speak
For no one else can explain me
No one else can share my heart
I speak with my voice and my actions
Clarifying people’s thoughts about me
The losses I bore are now markers
Of lessons learnt the hard way
It is enough for me to be myself
To speak from my heart and for myself.


P.S: I must confess that now the impression has changed altogether… now the complain is that I talk too much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment