18 December 2009

Watching My Mind’s Door

Dry, Lifeless and worthless…..

I fight with these words that attempt to mar my psyche…

I cannot bear their assault on my moods and thereby wasting my day!

What on earth was I thinking when I let these words enter into my mind!

Day in and day out… I struggle with images and ideas that seek to conquer my mind and make me do things that I would not otherwise permit…(not while I’m thinking for myself, I’m sure!)

Some gain-seeking ad-making remorseless person or persons put bottomless ideas into words and visuals which have only nuisance value to me….. I wish I could meet some of these purposeful problem creators and give them a piece of my mind!  

If this is the state of a thinking person, I wonder what will become of those who don’t exercise their minds… poor, misled, ill-treated souls… wandering the desert of lost ideas and depraved self-images.

How much of the life we live is really and truly ours? Do we really have any say in what enters our minds, our thoughts and subsequently our lives through the decisions we make which are influenced by them?

Why did I give someone the authority to work their way into the inner chambers of my mind by using appealing and sometimes hypnotic means, just to make me a puppet to the ideas they are planting?

Why should I follow a fashion, a trend… a must-have… cant-die-without kind of wave of thought, culture or way of life? Don’t you see it’s obvious that no one expects me to live my own life! If I do like to think for myself they think there is something wrong with me… after all I don’t depend on the experts, the books or the way the people who are ‘in’ say I should be.

Hey! Get off me! You…. Creepy crawling person-snatching clone-making machine!!! I do believe that my Maker didn’t make a clone of me. He has a plan and purpose for my existence and didn’t expect me to fit these silly parameters to succeed except what is written in the one and only Success in Life Manual*.

I think I need a purging and cleansing to get all this junk out of my system, but will someone tell the ad-makers, the copywriters and the movie makers to keep the morbid and hell-raising thoughts out of our minds? I’m sure there will be less people going to shrinks if these people thought about what they were cultivating with their wares.

A mind that is uneducated in the ways of thinking for itself is not capable of getting out of the maze of desires and thoughts that are baseless or valueless; it simply gets trapped in a series of wants and must-haves… These minds bombarded by words, images and ideas screaming at them every moment… in their house, in the streets… the land, the water and the sky too conquered in the bid for more eyeballs.

I dream of a world without advertising, without voices telling you this is good or better and the other… without degradation and devaluation of the entity of a person… where the land, the water, the sky is left for me to admire and feel like I’m a part of a vast universe and belong to it. Please, can anyone give me a natural, more humane world… a world where business doesn’t pollute the finer aspects of life and portray it tainted with their self-interest, but allows us experience life as we truly should – firsthand! For every good ad out there, there are several which feed on our ill-suspecting minds and empty our already impoverished pockets!

What should I call this… a revolution… a rebellion against the trend-setters… a minds-up in arms strike against the idea givers… or fight for freedom of thought! Its time for peace to rule over the mind-waves….  Time we shrug off the people who make a living by infringing our personal space – they are merely parasites whom we have enshrined and placed on a pedestal!

Thinking about ‘freedom of expression’ and ‘right to information’. I believe that each of these need to be defined. If someone sells drugs or death in the name of freedom of expression using some catchphrase, would you say its okay? If someone gives information to make explosives to destroy the planet in the name of information would you be able to decide whether it’s right or wrong when other minds without restrain learn from it and put that information to use in a way that can destroy an entire city? 

Millions of people, one planet, one life… Relationships, families, cords that bind each and every one to one another and all others…  One huge responsibility… and one question… Am I my brother’s keeper???

* – the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment